Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Now, THIS is what I'm talking about!

That was Enn's comment about the french bread he just bought! Today is Tuesday. As we planned, we took an 8.5 hour winery tour by tour bus. We traveled thru the Modoc countryside and visited four wineries (Chateau's) and had wonderful guides to show and tell us all about wine making! This was the best I've ever seen, and I lived for a few years in Napa, CA! Each of the winery's discussed a different part of winemaking...it kept the tour interesting the entire day. Nothing was repeated...AND, guess what?!? Because of the funny weather we've all been having, they decided to start harvestingt the grapes yesterday!!!! How luck were we, to see vines full of perfect grapes, ready to be picked and BEING picked??? These are family owned vineyards, so things are done on a smaller scale and we were able to watch each step. I hope my pictures will tell the story...(sorry, I am still perfecting my skills at putting them on here!) We also tasted 2-3 wines at each stop. We did have a fabulous lunch half way through....although I'm not a big fan of (raw?) Salmon or rare duck , everyone else cleaned their plates and raved about the food. I had plenty of salad, cheese, bread and, you guessed it...wine! We met lots of nice people, the tour was limited to 25. People were with us from England, Scotland, Montreal, Brazil, Florida and more.
We walked home from the drop off site in town, and stopped at the huge grocery market and bought stuff for dinner. Then came home, had dinner and worked on hotel rooms and train passes for next week. We have now added the Loire Valley on our schedule, after Brussels/before Paris. We have a hotel in Tours, France for that part. Many people have said great things about it.....Tomorrow, Enn will go to the train depot to reserve train seats and I will do laundry ... we have a washer/dryer in the apt.!!! Goodnight from Bordeaux!

No comments:

Post a Comment